Take a look around whatever room you are in right now and see just how much you have that requires electricity. Your computer, lighting, and whatever other electronics are in the room all run on electricity. The Power went out yesterday, due to a wicked wind storm and a large tree on its last legs. The lack of lighting, heat, internet, TV, music (besides my Ipod and headphones), etc made me realize just how reliant we are on electricity and other human inventions.
While the power was out I stopped and prayed in the middle of what I was doing (I rarely pray unless the time is appropriate, but for once I prayed on the spur of the moment). And the strange thing about my prayer: I thanked God for the power outage. I thanked him for the opportunity to focus more on Him without worldly distractions and while I did pray for power to come back son so I wouldn’t freeze, I focused my prayers on worshiping Him. I had planned to organize a few things and then read my bible, though the power came back on before I got to reading and I had other chores that needed to be done that required electricity. Even later that night I ended up talking to a friend online and reminiscing about my past and never got to reading scripture. God knew my heart was in the right place, however, and left me with a peaceful mind even though I could have done more for Him by reading His word.
This morning, after 2 days of waiting, I can finally get into my bedroom. My brother was hosting a LAN party (party of geeks playing computer games all night) and needed to move some furniture out of the way so there would be more room for everyone’s computers. Unfortunately my bedroom was the closest and, therefore, was used to store the furniture. Now I don’t have any issue with my room being used and I would have agreed with no complaints if I had been given proper notice and even been asked properly. What actually happened, however, was that I was given 2 minutes warning and was not asked properly, but more just told that couches were being stored there. My brother took advantage of me and packed my room so much with stuff that I couldn’t get to anything and was forced to sleep on the couch.
Jesus replied, " `You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. A second is equally important: `Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the other commandments and all the demands of the prophets are based on these two commandments." Matthew 22:37-40
Jesus says to love your neighbor; therefore I should forgive my brother for whatever he does to upset me, including this issue with the use of my room. It is so hard to truly love your neighbor. I was frustrated at myself for being frustrated at him because I knew I had not forgiven my brother yet. It took a message from a close friend to remind me that God doesn’t want us to worry and that praying could ease my mind. A few prayers and talking out my frustrations did wonders for my burdened mind.
God is just that good! All I have to do is pray and worship and live in fellowship and all my problems disappear! God is amazing for the gift of peace He has blessed me with. His first commandment, to love Him, actually helps me to live the second. I hope you love God as much as I do, as worshiping Him has give my life way more blessings than I deserve.
Peace ~ Pyung Ahn

No comments:
Post a Comment