So I read Philippians last night and this morning and am rereading it now. This letter from Paul to the Philippians has a few points that really jump out at me.
First of all, Paul was unjustly thrown in prison simply because he was going about preaching the Gospel. Even though he was in such dire circumstances, he still lived his life for God and stayed faithful that Christ was so much more important to him than what his current circumstances were. While imprisoned, Paul brought people to Christ. He inspired others to spread the Good News and even though some of those who preached the Gospel were doing so for worldly reasons, others preached with pure hearts. Even though some who were preaching about Christ were not doing so righteously, Paul rejoiced in them, for they were spreading Jesus’ name. Paul’s faith amazes me for the magnitude of the hard times he is pulled through with little worries because he has God to walk with and Jesus to serve.
Paul rejoices in his suffering (chapter 1, verse 29) simply because it is for Christ that he has the PRIVLIGE to suffer for! Paul has completely given his life over to God’s control. I pray that I may be able to trust God to the same extent Paul did and that I may be able to live for Him as well. I would like to think that I have been living for God lately, though there is always something greater that I can do for Him.
I have noticed that since giving up certain sins, praying more often, and in general living for God as much as I can, I see that I have more peace and that god seems to move in me more than just a few months or even a few weeks ago. There have been a few times these past few days where I am fairly certain god has been speaking through me to get to another life that either needs saving still or was in need of spiritual strengthening through a few choice words that definitely came from god and not me, even if it was through me that they came.
Paul gives recommendations to the Philippians on how to live a more virtuous life in the eyes of God and he even sends fellow Christians Epaphroditus and Timothy to them so that they can help strengthen the ministry in Philippi. He warns against the circumcision sect because it is not through any physical act that a spirit is saved, but only through the acceptance and worship of Jesus Christ. Paul was circumcised and was even a devout Pharisee! And he gave all of those privileges and that high position in god’s house up because he knew Jesus. He went from being a highly respected member of the synagogue to being imprisoned, yet I suspect that he is happier in his imprisonment than in his Pharisee days simply because he knows Jesus and is closer to God.
Even Paul himself admits that he has faults because he is human. He humbles himself and uplifts Jesus in place of his own self esteem. I have always been a humble person because in martial arts, we are taught to live by a code of conduct that includes humility in your everyday life. I submit myself to God every day and commit my life to His will in my prayers each day. I know there are times when I am tired or just not thinking and I lose my humility, but for the most part I live my life uplifting God and not myself. Lately I have been submitting to not only God’s will, but my parents will as well. They are giving me odd jobs to do around the house in order to work off my debt for spring semester and though paying that off is a small reason that I am helping them, I am also doing so because I know they need the help and in working closely with them, I can get close enough to them to be able to bring up their own salvation eventually. God does command us to honor our mother and father, after all.
I have more I wish to say on specific versus in Philippians, but I shall post them tomorrow, as it is late already. God bless you and Grant you peace.
Peace ~ Pyung Ahn ~ Shalom

No comments:
Post a Comment