[all quotes from Philippians]
“For God is working in you, giving you the desire to obey him and the power to do what pleases him.” 2:13
God is definitely working in me, giving me a desire to live a righteous life and shed away my old sins. Were I left to my own devices, I might still live in my sins and still be living a sinful lifestyle. The only reason I have changed to be righteous is because God moves me to do so. It is not because I feel unworthy otherwise, though at times I do and humble myself to Him; it is because He changed my heart to be less sinful. I used to think abortion was ok and it is the women’s choice, though now that I know more about God’s precious gift of life and that God has a plan for every life that exists on this earth, I know that it is wrong to purposefully end that life before it has even begun. Whether abortion should be illegal or not is a question of politics government, though I can take a personal stand against it.
I was living in sin before because I was in a relationship with a woman. God says homosexuality is wrong and even though I knew that God disapproved of it, I continued to have a relationship after I was saved, though it placed a burden on my heart. I felt called to go to an allies meeting at college, which is a group for homosexuals and their allies on campus. The entire meeting I realized that my heart no longer resided in that lifestyle and that the lifestyle I lived in while in that relationship with a woman was not for me anymore. Three days after that allies meeting, I finally broke up with my girlfriend. Immediately after I hung up the phone, I felt so relaxed, as though the weight of that burden was just lifted off of me. About 2 months after that, I officially renounced that sin and made a covenant, an unbreakable promise to God, that I will never be in another relationship with a woman. Though I know I may still suffer from lustful desires, I made a promise never to act on them. God has blessed me with the power to please Him, as I would not have given up that part of me on my own.
“Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. If you do this, you will experience God's peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.”4:6-7
I am a big fan of ‘do not worry’ scripture quotes and this one hits the exact note I need. Instead of worrying, I should pray about what it is that worries me and pray that my mind be freed from the unnecessary stress that worrying causes. My first semester of college flew by because I had God to take away my worries. I felt less stressed during the time in school than I ever have during high school and I even finished the semester with a 3.91 GPA: probably the highest I have ever had. I have asked God to help me and though it took me a while to do so, I started praising Him for all the blessings He has given me. Once I started praising him and asking for help directly, my prayers for help were answered. That peace I get in return for my worship really is that indescribable peace that I’m sure has lowered my blood pressure, stress levels and even kept me healthy throughout the semester. And it is all thanks to Jesus that I can be so at peace.
“Your attitude should be the same that Christ Jesus had. Though he was God, he did not demand and cling to his rights as God. He made himself nothing; he took the humble position of a slave and appeared in human form. And in human form he obediently humbled himself even further by dying a criminal's death on a cross. Because of this, God raised him up to the heights of heaven and gave him a name that is above every other name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee will bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.” 2:5-11
I feel so humbled to know that Jesus himself was humbled to be human. He had all the powers of God, yet still lived as a poor man and traveling rabbi, living off only the kindness of fellow Jews and the blessings from God along his way. He was perfect and yet died the most painful and drawn out death for me. His perfection, death, and resurrection were so that sinners like me could be saved in God’s eyes and we can all join Jesus and God in heaven. I love Jesus, my savior, and I worship him as God. Jesus was a slave to the human race and so I thank him for his unwavering love by serving him.
I hope you are blessed and you know the love of Jesus.
Peace ~ Pyung Ahn ~ Shalom

No comments:
Post a Comment